Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter

I am going on vacation soon and want to publish the next issue of the Faithfully Yours ezine before I leave. The theme of this issue is Easter. I keep putting it off and I only have a couple days left. You see, I'm in denial. Before I go on, if you knew me, you would know that this is very hard for me and isn't me. I'm one of those goody two shoes nice girls who likes everyone to think everything is all right. I'm opening my heart here...

Last weekend we got together with my family to celebrate Easter. Everything was going along fine. We just finished dinner and opening presents. (we were celebrating birthdays too) Not quite ready for dessert yet, we were just sitting around talking and spending time together. Well, a friend of ours that came along, brought up church. My sil very abruptly said, "Can we not talk about religion today?" Well, this didn't sit well with my husband as he got up and started rounding up the kids. I was confused. She is a devout Catholic and goes to church regularly. My brother on the other hand does not and my mom stopped going after the kids left home. And I can't remember a time my dad has been to church, even for one of our "programs". I have been wanting to witness to my family and we have been trying slowly. (I suppose) I kind of got up slowly pretending I didn't know what was going on around me. My sil said to me, "I hope you are not leaving because of what I said." I said I think we are. And then she started to tell me that she didn't like the letter I wrote my brother at Christmas(I wrote him a letter telling him my feelings and I how I wanted him to come to know the Lord, etc. and that I wasn't sure if my sil was saved) She felt I was judging her. I felt like I had just been punched in the stomach, I didn't know what to say. I was completely caught off guard and was well -shocked! I just got my stuff and left! I sat in the back of van, mad at my husband for leaving so suddenly, mad at my sil, mad at my brother and mad at myself. My head was pounding, I was fighting not to throw up and I was so upset! I feel like I have lost my family-like I have to choose between my family now and my parents and brother! We rarely talk or get together just holidays. All I can think of is how the next holiday is Mother's Day and I don't think we will be getting together. I feel soo alone in this because my dh doesn't understand. I know he will just quote scripture and say the verse about "losing your family over me". So I guess I'm a little mad at God too. I'm sorry! I know this probably doesn't make much sense. I keep trying to pretend it didn't happen, yet I cry myself to sleep every night. I know what I need to do, I just can't though. I haven't opened my Bible and only read a couple devotionals, my prayers are "routine". I'm scared.

We are now only two days from leaving for vacation. We will be gone for 10 days. My mom Idid call to wish us a safe trip and she babbled on for awhile, but nothing was said about our Easter get together. I just couldn't bring it up. So I'm not sure what to think. I'm hoping to go away on vacation, "get away from everything" for awhile and come back ready to face reality. She did mention she is off work the first week of May and her and my dad want to spend a day with the kids. So maybe then.

Anyway, thanks for "listening". I appreciate everyone. I will be returning on April 29 and hope to catch up on emails soon after. Take care...

Faithfully,

Dawn

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dawn, taking religion in a family is hard. I am the only mormon in my family and my husbands family. his side does not like at all. But I am enduring it to the end like God want it. But we do talk about it now and then and i explain about it to my mother in law. nice and calm. maybe once you can see your mom quietly you and her can talk by yourselves and this way get some air cleared somewhat. family is so important to everyone and I know that by talking calmly everything out would greatly help you and your family. I would talk about this but make sure no kids are around when you do this as kids do not need to be around just in case an argument arises. :) I know you can work this all out and I will pray for you and ALL your family.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Monica,

I appreciate your comments. I am on vacation now and am enjoying the time away, keeping busy doing the tourist thing yet we have times of relaxing as well. I talked to my mom prior to leaving and she has some vacation time herself and plans to spend the day with kids and I when we get back. I just don't like turmoil (who does?) I know things will work out in God's time and according to his will. I just need to be patient and trust in Him. Thank you!

Faithfully,

Dawn

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home