Friday, March 04, 2005

James 1:6

Have you ever had one of those days where you have the devil sitting on one shoulder telling you “you can’t do that!” or “who do you think you are?” or “what makes you think you ….” and then on the other shoulder is the angel saying “you can do this” or “you bring something different…” and fill your head with great ideas that really excite you! And then the devil starts talking again. Ok, maybe you haven’t, but you have seen it in cartoons or on tv sometime, right? Well, that happened to me earlier this week. This week we also bought new mattresses with our tax check. I was soo looking forward to going to bed and wouldn’t you know I was wide awake! Plus my 3 year old wasn’t ready for bed either, keeping me from falling asleep. As I laid there in bed trying to fall asleep and thinking about the conversation that happened earlier on my shoulders, “James” kept popping in my head. I wanted to get up and see what the book of James had to say about my struggle, but I didn’t want Kori to get up with me and not go to sleep. Anyway, the next morning, before the girls woke up, I had my quiet time and starting reading James. It didn’t take me long to find what I was looking for!

“But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.” James 1:6

You see, a few weeks ago I was contemplating shutting down FaithfullyYours. I was wondering if it was worth it, for myself as well as my customers. After prayerful consideration, I felt led by God that I should not quit working on Faithfully Yours! But somehow this week, I started to question that and lost faith. Here I had asked God, received my answer, and then started doubting it! I can’t believe I had the audacity to doubt God! What was I thinking? Actually, I am surprised to be sharing this with you. But I am hoping, by sharing my story, it will “speak” to someone else and help in some way!

Before going on, I would like to share the verses leading up to and following this verse.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
James 1:2-5

That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does. James 1:7-8

Supporting verse:

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Mark 11:24

Throughout scripture, the disciples doubted Jesus and their faith severly lacked. But what did Jesus say?

He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. Matthew 8:26
and
He replied, “Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

So what should we do when we doubt?
Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, “Don't be afraid; just believe.”
Mark 5:36
or
The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” Luke 17:5
and
My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on 's power. 1Co 2:4,5

Please share your thoughts...

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth.E said...

Thank you, this is my first visit and of all the entries i could have read i read this one, the one i needed most. perhaps i need to stop doubting too, it would appear God is working in ways i cannot even fathom. i will be visiting your blog often. Thank you for getting me through this day and the struggles i am facing.
Ruth

5:20 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

God lead you to this one post for a reason! I had to go back and reread it myself. I'm glad I did, I needed the reminder. I'll keep you in my prayers for your current struggles.

Faithfully,

Dawn

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home